Skip to the content

Compensation for accidents and illnesses during service to conscripts and persons undergoing non-military service

  • N.B! Persons who go to Ukraine as volunteer fighters are not covered by the Military Accident Act and therefore cannot receive compensation for military accidents in the event of a possible injury or illness.

  • Service description

    If you were injured in an accident during your military or non-military service or became sick with an illness that was caused by your service, the Defence Forces or the place of your non-military service will take care of your treatment during your service.

    After your service has ended, the State Treasury is responsible for the cost of the treatment for your injury or service-related illness as well as any other statutory compensations.

  • Preconditions for receiving compensation

    You are entitled to compensation (e.g. medical expenses and compensation for loss of income) if your case meets the conditions laid down in the act on compensation for a military accident and service-related illness.

    You are entitled to compensation if the accident took place while

    * in military service
    * in non-military service
    * on a military refresher course
    * as a cadet
    * on certain courses at the National Defence Training Association of Finland (MPK).

    If you are unable to handle your compensation matters yourself, you can give power of attorney to a person you trust. You can send the power of attorney by email to or attach it to your compensation application.

  • What to do

    To receive the compensation, you must submit an application to the State Treasury. First, file an electronic notification of a military accident to the State Treasury either yourself or together with a person appointed by the garrison.

    Then, register as a user of the Messages service. When you are a user of the Messages, the State Treasury’s services are quicker to use. You can contact the State Treasury customer service via the Messages service.

    You can also use the chat or secure mail, or call. Please see Customer service – Military accidents/Non-military service accidents

    If you are unable to * work or
    * register as unemployed or
    * study after your service due to your injury or illness, acquire a doctor’s certificate regarding your reduced working capacity.

    Remember that you will not receive your compensation from the State Treasury until after your service has ended.

    If your accident is already being processed by the State Treasury, you can send any additional documents via email or the Messages service.

  • If you contract coronavirus during your service

    If you contract coronavirus during your service:
    • do not make a claim to the State Treasury at this stage.
    At the end of the service:
    • if the illness causes you to need medical care, or incapacity to work even after the service has ended, make a claim to the State Treasury.
  • Compensation for accidents and service diseases

    If you are injured, you will be compensated for

    • the required medical care,
    • rehabilitation related to medical care and functional capacity (e.g. physical therapy),
    • loss of income,
    • permanent disability, and
    • if necessary, occupational rehabilitation, if you are unable to return to your previous job or place of study.

    Starting on 1 January 2019, a lump sum additional compensation is paid for permanent general disability due to injury or illness caused by an accident. The maximum additional compensation according to handicap class 20 is 210,000 euros, and for partial permanent disability, a lump sum of as many twentieths as is deemed by the relevant handicap class is paid.  The additional compensation is paid for accidents which occurred on or after 1 January 2019.

    The objective is to help you to be rehabilitated and return to your work or studies as soon as possible. The assessing of occupational rehabilitation is started at an earlier stage than before to make it as effective as possible.

  • Rehabilitation

    The objective is to help you to be rehabilitated and return to your work or studies as soon as possible. In the event of an accident or service-related illness, you may have the possibility of receiving occupational rehabilitation if you are unable to return to your previous job or place of study.

    Among others, the following may be supported as occupational rehabilitation:

    • research examining the need for rehabilitation
    • work trial
    • job coaching in a previous or new job
    • training for a suitable job or profession and basic education to complete such training;
    • aids and equipment for coping at work

    The investigation for the possibility of occupational rehabilitation will begin as early as possible. If you have been injured in service and your incapacity for work has lasted for two months, we will investigate your chances of receiving limited occupational rehabilitation.

    Limited occupational rehabilitation is implemented together with Verve Kuntoutus. Rehabilitation includes individual guidance and advice related to studies and working life. Rehabilitation is always adapted to your individual needs.

    The average duration of rehabilitation is six months.

  • Compensation in the event of death

    Survivors’ pension

    When a conscript’s death is caused by their service, survivors’ pension is paid to their spouse and children.

    The survivors’ pension is calculated based on the annual earned income of the deceased. However, the annual earned income is calculated at least as three times the amount of the minimum annual earned income, or 43,080.00 euros in 2019.

    Example 1: If the primary beneficiary only leaves behind a widow, their survivors’ pension is 40% of the annual earned income. If the deceased only earned the minimum annual earned income, the amount of compensation in 2019 is 17,232.00 euros. The widow’s own income can also decrease the sum.

    Example 2: If the primary beneficiary leaves behind a widow and one child, the widow’s pension is 35% and the child’s pension 25% of the annual earned income. The amounts are affected by the number of children and the widow’s income after the children’s right to survivors’ pension ends.

    Funeral allowance

    In 2019, the amount of funeral allowance is 4,900.00 euros. The allowance is paid to the estate, if the estate pays the costs of the funeral. If the payer is someone else, they are compensated based on receipts no more than the amount mentioned above.

    Financial support

    Compensation for the death of a conscript can also be paid based on the act on the financial support following the death of a conscript. This support consists of a basic sum, eventual child increase, and accident increase. The support referred to in the act is intended for the spouse and any children of the deceased under the age of 22.

    Additional compensation

    Starting on 1 January 2019, an additional compensation can be paid for death caused by military accident or service-related illness. The additional compensation of 200,000 euros is primarily paid to the spouse of the deceased, and 40,000 euros to each of their children under 18. If there are no primary beneficiaries, both parents of the deceased shall be paid a compensation of 20,000 euros. The additional compensation is paid for deaths which occurred on or after 1 January 2019.

    Traffic accident

    If the death occurred in connection with a traffic accident, the victim may also be entitled to compensation based on the Motor Insurance Act. A reasonable sum of burial and other funeral-related costs can be compensated where not covered by the funeral allowance.

    The compensation is based on the Act on Compensation for Military Accidents and Service-Related Illnesses (1521/2016), Workers’ Compensation Act (459/2015), Act on financial support payable following the death of a conscript (1309/1994), and the Motor Insurance Act (460/2016).

  • Application forms

    You will need to attach a report of the injury and the treatment received to your application. You can retrieve your patient documents from the My Kanta service – see instructions later on this site. If you are performing crisis management duties and are unable to use My Kanta, scan or photograph your patient documents.

    In addition to this, you will also need at least

    • your personal details and account number
    • the start and end date of your service (or date of suspension)
    • your sick leave certificate, if you are unable to work or study due to your injury or disease
    • proof of studies, e.g. an extract of your transcript of studies from Studyinfo, if your studies have been postponed due to the injury or disease
    • receipts of any expenses incurred after your service for any further use. You do not need to send the receipts to the State Treasury, but you must retain them for one year. We may request them at a later date. Expense allowances must be applied for within one year of the expense occurring.

    Any other attachments are specified on the application.

    To fill in the application, you must authenticate yourself via the service. is a joint authentication service for the public administration. You can use your online banking credentials, mobile certificate or certificate card for identification.

    You may suspend the form filling process and save the form as a draft, if necessary. All drafts are stored in the service for six months.

    The service functions best on the following browsers: Internet Explorer 11, Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Edge (newest versions).

    To the Application >  Choose the language in the upper right corner of the service.

    Searching for health information from the My Kanta service with a phone or a computer >

    If you are filling an application on behalf of someone else, or the matter concerns a deceased person, please contact our compensation service by e-mail at or call 0295503060.

    Additional information

    Respond to the request for additional information or correct incorrect information already provided in the e-service as soon as possible. Sending additional information through the e-service under ensures that your application will be processed quickly.

    Send requested additional information >

  • Legislation