• Service description

    If you get injured or ill while undertaking military crisis management duties, the Pori Brigade is responsible for the costs of your care during your service time.

    If you are injured or fall ill while undertaking civilian crisis management duties, you may be entitled to your costs of care being paid by the State Treasury even during your service time.

    After your service time, the State Treasury is responsible for the costs of your care, any loss of income, and any other statutory compensations.

    You are entitled to compensation from the State Treasury if your case meets the conditions laid down in the act on compensation for an accident or service-related illness during a crisis management task (1522/2016).

  • Preconditions for receiving compensation

    The service is intended only for those who have been injured or who have fallen ill during military or civilian crisis management duties.

  • What to do

    To receive the compensation, you must submit an application to the State Treasury. Follow this procedure:

    1. File a notification of a military accident to the State Treasury using the form available on the State Treasury website.
    2. Start using Suomi.fi Messages, which is an information secure way of sending and receiving messages from the public administration and other organisations which use the service. When you are a user of the Suomi.fi Messages, the State Treasury’s services are quicker to use. You can contact the State Treasury customer service via the Suomi.fi Messages service.
    3. Obtain a sick note if you are unable to go to work or to study. Remember that you cannot get the compensation from the State Treasury until after your service has ended.

    When the State Treasury has received your application for compensation, we will ask for a copy of your commitment to service and also your medical records for the time you served in the crisis management task. After that, the State Treasury will process your application and make a decision on the compensation.

    You will also get support for coping mentally: If, after your service, you feel that you need support because of mental health symptoms, stress or adaptation problems, contact the psychiatric consultation outpatient clinic of the Helsinki and Uusimaa Hospital District (HUS). HUS psychiatric consultation outpatient clinic, tel: 09 4717 3511

  • Compensation for accidents and service diseases

    If you are injured in crisis management duties, you will be compensated for the following:

    • medical care,
    • medical rehabilitation and rehabilitation related to functional capacity (e.g. physiotherapy),
    • compensation for lost income,
    • compensation for permanent disability and, if necessary,
    • vocational rehabilitation should you be unable to return to your former employment or studies

    Starting on 1 January 2017, a lump sum additional compensation is paid for permanent general disability due to injury or illness caused by an accident. The maximum additional compensation according to disability category 20 is 210,000 euros, and for partial permanent disability, a lump sum of as many twentieths as is deemed by the relevant handicap class is paid. The additional compensation is paid for accidents which occurred on or after 1 January 2017. A precondition for receiving additional compensation is that the accident has occurred during service or a drill or training exercise in a military service area abroad.

    The objective is to help you to be rehabilitated and return to your work or studies as soon as possible. For this purpose, cooperation with Verve has been tightened, and the assessing of vocational rehabilitation is started at an earlier stage than before to make it as effective as possible.

    Those who have taken part in military service are also eligible for compensation for the costs of mental support and care in the form of rehabilitation. The need for support or care must have a probable cause-effect relationship to the service or task in question. Costs can be compensated for up to one year from the onset of the need for support.

    Read case examples >

  • Compensation in the event of death

    Survivors’ pension

    When a person’s death is caused by their service, survivors’ pension is paid to their spouse and children.

    The survivors’ pension is calculated based on the annual earned income of the deceased. However, the annual earned income is calculated at least as three times the amount of the minimum annual earned income, or 43,080.00 euros in 2019.

    Example 1: If the primary beneficiary only leaves behind a widow, their survivors’ pension is 40% of the annual earned income. If the deceased only earned the minimum annual earned income, the amount of compensation in 2019 is 17,232.00 euros. The widow’s own income can also decrease the sum.

    Example 2: If the primary beneficiary leaves behind a widow and one child, the widow’s pension is 35% and the child’s pension 25% of the annual earned income. The amounts are affected by the number of children and the widow’s income after the children’s right to survivors’ pension ends.

    Funeral allowance

    In 2019, the amount of funeral allowance is 4,900.00 euros. Funeral allowance is paid to the estate or other funeral organiser.

    Additional compensation in case of death

    Beneficiaries affected by a death during military service receive additional compensation.  The amount of the additional compensation paid to beneficiaries is 200,000 euros. In addition, each underage child receives 20% of this, i.e. 40,000 euros.  The additional compensation is paid for deaths which occurred on or after 1 January 2017. A precondition for receiving additional compensation is that the accident has occurred during service or a drill or training exercise in a military service area abroad.

    Traffic accident

    If the death occurred in connection with a traffic accident, the victim may also be entitled to compensation based on the Motor Insurance Act. A reasonable sum of burial and other funeral-related costs can be compensated where not covered by the funeral allowance.

    The compensations are based on the Act on Compensation for Accidents and Service-Related Illnesses in Crisis Management Duties (1522/2016), Workers’ Compensation Act (459/2015) and the Motor Insurance Act (460/2016).

  • Application forms

    TO THE APPLICATION >  Choose the language in the upper right corner of the service.

    You will need to attach a report of the injury and the treatment received to your application. You can retrieve your patient documents from the My Kanta service – see instructions later on this site. If you are performing crisis management duties and are unable to use My Kanta, scan or photograph your patient documents.

    In addition to this, you will also need at least

    • your personal details and account number
    • the start and end date of your service (or date of suspension)
    • your sick leave certificate, if you are unable to work or study due to your injury or disease
    • proof of studies, e.g. an extract of your transcript of studies from Studyinfo, if your studies have been postponed due to the injury or disease
    • receipts of any expenses incurred after your service for any further use. You do not need to send the receipts to the State Treasury, but you must retain them for one year. We may request them at a later date. Expense allowances must be applied for within one year of the expense occurring.

    Any other attachments are specified on the application.

    To fill in the application, you must authenticate yourself via the Suomi.fi service. Suomi.fi is a joint authentication service for the public administration. You can use your online banking credentials, mobile certificate or certificate card for identification.

    You may suspend the form filling process and save the form as a draft, if necessary. All drafts are stored in the service for six months.

    The service functions best on the following browsers: Internet Explorer 11, Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Edge (newest versions).

    TO THE APPLICATION >  Choose the language in the upper right corner of the service.

    Searching for health information from the My Kanta service with a phone or a computer >

    If you are filling an application on behalf of someone else, or the matter concerns a deceased person, please contact our compensation service by e-mail at vahko.sotilaat@valtiokonttori.fi or call 0295503060.

    Additional information

    Respond to the request for additional information or correct incorrect information already provided in the e-service as soon as possible. Sending additional information through the e-service under ensures that your application will be processed quickly.

    Send requested additional information >

  • Legislation