• What?

    Motor insurance covers property and personal injuries caused by using a vehicle in traffic.

    The State Treasury is responsible for the processing of compensation for damage caused by motor vehicles owned by the Government.

    Traffic accidents caused by vehicles owned or held by the Government (including leasing vehicles) are compensated from Government funds, in a similar manner as if the Government had insured the vehicle. Therefore, Government vehicles need no separate motor insurance.

    The State Treasury remains responsible for traffic accidents caused between 11 June 2007 and 31 December 2016 by vehicles which have been released from insurance obligation. Such vehicles include combine harvesters and certain types of machinery. Starting on 1 January 2017, the Finnish Motor Insurers’ Centre (LVK) processes this damage.

  • What is it about?

    Compensation is paid for traffic accidents where
    1. a vehicle owned or held by the Government has caused the accident and
    2. the vehicle was used in traffic.

    Compensation is paid to the innocent party
    * for personal damage
    * for property damage.

  • How?

    When you are in an accident, the police should be called at least in the following cases:
    * in case of severe personal injury
    * if neither party admits their guilt to the accident
    * if the accident affects several vehicles
    * if alcohol or other intoxicants play a part in the accident.

    When a Government vehicle causes a traffic accident between two motor vehicles or the victim of the accident is a person or other kind of property, the Government agency or organisation in question files the notification of claim to the State Treasury.

    Similarly, the owner or holder of a vehicle released from insurance obligation files the notification of a traffic accident caused by the vehicle in question.

    The form requests the information of your vehicle and the other vehicle, as well as a description of the accident and damage. If the damage was caused to property other than another vehicle, the information of the damaged property is listed in the space reserved for the other vehicle. Photos and any other materials to clarify the accident (such as the police report) should be attached to the notification of claim. In addition to the driver, the owner or holder of the vehicle must sign the notification of claim.