• What?

    The State Treasury will reimburse for any damage specified in the Motor Insurance Act caused by motor vehicles owned or permanently held by the government (including leased vehicles).

    The compensation payments produced by the State Treasury in questions of traffic accidents are subject to a fee, and these fees are invoiced from accounting units annually.

  • Accident insurance coverage period

    The length of the accident insurance coverage period is one calendar year. The payments for the period are determined based on the agency’s compensation costs and vehicle stock. Any changes to the vehicle stock during the period do not affect the amount of the payment.

  • Traffic insurance contribution

    Traffic insurance contributions consist of three parts: a claims-expenditure-based risk premium, pooled payments related to major damage and compensation for treatment expenses.

    The claims-expenditure-based risk premium is based on the average compensation expenses for property damage over the previous three years and the average compensation expenses for personal injuries over the previous five years of the accounting unit or state-owned enterprise (= target unit for the premiums).

    Compensation expenses for  serious personal injuries are covered by the pooled payment. The pooled payment  is in place to distribute the risk between target units.

    Compensation for treatment expenses covers the costs to the State Treasury from the management of the traffic insurance, and it is paid by all target units for the premiums.

  • Data in the vehicle register

    Please ensure that your organisation’s vehicle data have been entered correctly into the Traficom vehicle register. The number of vehicles in this register affects the amount of the traffic insurance contribution.

  • Invoicing

    The accounting unit will pay the traffic insurance contributions based on an invoice sent by the State Treasury. Invoicing is primarily specific to each accounting unit. The accounting unit must pay the invoices to the State Treasury in one batch and in full, but the accounting unit may invoice the sum to be paid from the agencies and organisations the unit serves.

  • Legislation governing traffic insurance contributions

  • Compensation for traffic accidents

  • What?

    The State Treasury pays compensation for accidents occurring during work performed for the government out of state funds.

    The compensation payments produced by the State Treasury in questions of accidents are subject to a fee. The fees must cover the costs incurred to the state by the maintaining of the benefit, but not the compensation paid by the state in any given year. The treatment expense section of the fee is equivalent to the absorption cost.

  • How are accident premiums calculated?

    Accident premiums are calculated based on criteria for charges verified annually. The premiums are calculated on an accounting unit level and separately for each enterprise.

    Accident premium per mills are calculated based on the compensation and wages paid over the previous four years. The accident premium of each accounting unit is based on the accounting unit’s own compensation costs and the compensation costs of agencies in the same risk category.

    The calculation of the premiums subscribes to principles of matching and equity, which means that the payments are directed to accounting units mainly based on compensation costs, but within reason.

    Read more about the criteria for charges payable for accidents >

    Further information on occupational accidents:
    Occupational accident >

  • Which wages are accident premiums based on?

    Accident premiums are paid out of the wages of government employees and public servants. The amount of the premium is determined as a per mill share of the wages.

    Wages or other compensation paid as remuneration for work are used as the earnings on which the premium is based.

    In addition to basic wages, conventional allowances, such as holiday bonus pay, fringe benefits, daily allowances, holiday compensation and pay for the period of notice, are considered earnings.

  • Benefit equivalent to group life insurance

    The payment for financial support, i.e. benefit equivalent to group life insurance, is charged from the agency in connection with the accident premium on the same basis as the accident premium. All agencies employ a shared per mill share and enterprises employ individual per mill shares.

    Additional information on the benefit equivalent to group life insurance:
    Benefit equivalent to group life insurance >

  • Occupational health and safety premium

    Starting from the beginning of 2013, the state implemented an occupational health and safety premium corresponding to that employed by private companies. The premium is paid in connection with the accident premium and for the same wage amount. The occupational health and safety premium is used to support projects concerned with agencies’ occupational health and safety, well-being at work and occupational healthcare, for example.

    The occupational health and safety premium is 0.23 per mill of the  amount of wages.

  • Payment of the accident premium

    Towards the end of the year, the State Treasury will report  accounting unit specific accident premium per mills and the financial support premium per mill to Palkeet. The State Treasury will also report the corresponding data to enterprises and the agencies and funds whose payments are not processed in Palkeet.

    The premiums are paid to the State Treasury three times a year on an accounting unit level. The financial support premium and the occupational health and safety premium are also paid in connection with the accident premium.

  • Legislation governing accidents