Damage caused by which parties fall under the purview of the State Treasury?

The State Treasury only processes claims concerned with damage caused by government authorities and it has no authority to investigate damage caused by private parties or municipal authorities. In addition to these, the State Treasury does not process claims for damage caused by the Office of the Chancellor of Justice or the Office of the Parliamentary Ombudsman. Some authorities have the mandate on compensation for material and financial damage themselves (damage to real estate caused by operations of the Defence Forces and military crisis management tasks, the police, the Boarder Guard, tax authorities, road maintenance authorities, distraint authorities, and any damage caused by maintaining the registers of the National Land Survey of Finland and land surveying measures). However, the State Treasury has the mandate to process claims arising from personal injuries on behalf of these authorities.

Related content